Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back from So Ill

So our So Ill trip wasn't all that grand.  On Saturday morning we woke up to a heavy fog looming over Jackson Falls.  Hayley and I quickly made breakfast and hopped in the car to meet up with the rest of the crew at the Holy Boulders.  Things weren't looking that great as we pulled into the parking lot...the ground was wet and it was quite humid.  We figured we'd make the best of it though and went to see just how bad things were going to be.  Our fears had come true.  We had driven 6+ hours to climb on wet rocks.  NEGATIVE!  After a soggy warmup session on the classic Mollusc we headed up to the rest of the boulders to find everything else in the same condition.  We figured wet rock is better than no rock and we proceeded to throw ourselves at the slippery boulders, much to no avail.  Jimmy was able to do Trillium V9 after some effort though so our efforts weren't a complete waste.

The next day was much better, though still a bit damp.  The crew couldn't complain though because conditions were incredible compared to the previous day.  Brion was able to hook up Trillium V9 in a couple of goes, I failed, Jimmy killed Michael Jordan V11, Brion got agonizingly close and fell off the top out, and that's pretty much how the weekend went.

I made some progress on a couple of boulder problems and I am really excited to make my way back when the conditions aren't so damp.

On a side note I am looking forward to spending some time at Jackson Falls this spring.  The Falls is like home to me...I basically learned how to climb there.  While walking around The Falls on Sunday morning I forgot how awesome the routes are and how much potential still exists.  There are a few unbolted lines that I've had my eye on for a couple of years now and I am excited to get back with a drill in hand.  Yeaaahhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment